International Business Weekly
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • National
  • Culture
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • National
  • Culture
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
International Business Weekly
No Result
View All Result
Home National

Paramilitaries Claim Capture Of Key Sudan Towns

May 30, 2025
in National
0
Paramilitaries Claim Capture Of Key Sudan Towns
0
SHARES
2
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


Paramilitary forces fighting Sudan’s military have said they captured two strategic towns in the war-ravaged nation, which has been hit by a cholera outbreak that killed 70 people in the capital this week.

For more than two years Africa’s third-largest country has been engulfed by a war between the army, led by the nation’s de facto ruler, General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF).

The surge in cholera infections comes weeks after drone strikes blamed on the RSF knocked out water and electricity supplies across the capital Khartoum, which now faces a mounting health emergency.

The RSF announced Thursday that its forces had retaken the key towns of Dibeibat, in South Kordofan state, and Al-Khoei, in West Kordofan state, which border South Sudan.

“The liberation of Dibeibat, followed by Al-Khoei, not only means a field victory; it also consolidates the complete control of the RSF over most of the Kordofan region,” an RSF spokesman said in a statement.

Al-Khoei, located around 100 kilometres (62 miles) from El-Obeid — a crossroads between Khartoum and the Darfur region — had been briefly recaptured by the army this month.

Residents confirmed to AFP that Dibeibat, which links the states of North and South Kordofan, was now under RSF control.

The conflict has effectively split Sudan in two: the army controls the centre, east and north of the country, while paramilitaries hold almost all of Darfur in the west and parts of the south.

The war has killed tens of thousands of people, displaced 13 million and created what the United Nations has described as the world’s worst humanitarian crisis.

Last week, the military-backed government said it had dislodged RSF fighters from their last bases in Khartoum state, two months after retaking the heart of the capital from the paramilitaries.

Khartoum has been a battleground throughout the war and remains devastated, with health and sanitation infrastructure barely functioning.

Up to 90 percent of hospitals in the conflict’s main battlegrounds have been forced out of service by the fighting.

Now the capital is facing a major health crisis.

A cholera outbreak claimed 70 lives on Tuesday and Wednesday, the health ministry for Khartoum state said Thursday.

Health officials also recorded more than 2,100 new infections over the same two days.

But the UN’s humanitarian agency, OCHA, said it is “difficult to assess the true scale of the outbreak” with “significant discrepancies” in official data.

The federal health ministry reported 172 deaths in the week to Tuesday, 90 percent of them in Khartoum state.

Authorities said 89 percent of patients in isolation centres are recovering, but warn that deteriorating environmental conditions are driving a surge in cases.

Cholera vaccinations have begun in Jebel Awila, the hardest-hit district in Khartoum, UN chief Antonio Guterres’s spokesman said Thursday.

Meanwhile the World Health Organization had delivered more than 22 metric tons of cholera and emergency health supplies, spokesman Stephane Dujarric said.

Cholera is endemic to Sudan, but outbreaks have become worse and more frequent since the war broke out.

Since August, health authorities have recorded more than 65,000 cases and over 1,700 deaths across 12 of Sudan’s 18 states.

“Sudan is on the brink of a full-scale public health disaster,” said Eatizaz Yousif, the International Rescue Committee’s Sudan director.

“The combination of conflict, displacement, destroyed critical infrastructure and limited access to clean water is fuelling the resurgence of cholera and other deadly diseases.”

Aid agencies warn that without urgent action, the spread of disease is likely to worsen with the arrival of the rainy season next month, which severely limits humanitarian access.

Sudan’s government also faces US sanctions over allegations by Washington that the Sudanese military used chemical weapons last year in its war against the RSF.

On Thursday, Sudan’s foreign ministry announced the creation of a national committee to investigate the charge, while expressing its “disbelief in the validity of the US administration’s accusations”.



Source link

Tags: CaptureClaimKeyParamilitariesSudanTowns
Brand Post

Brand Post

I am an editor for IBW, focusing on business and entrepreneurship. I love uncovering emerging trends and crafting stories that inspire and inform readers about innovative ventures and industry insights.

Related Posts

What’s Next for Andrew After His Arrest? UK Government Weighs Plans to Strip Him of Succession Rights
National

What’s Next for Andrew After His Arrest? UK Government Weighs Plans to Strip Him of Succession Rights

February 21, 2026
Camila Cabello speaks out on humanitarian crisis in Cuba, urges support for Caritas
National

Camila Cabello speaks out on humanitarian crisis in Cuba, urges support for Caritas

February 21, 2026
GOP Rep. Gimenez Slams Chilean President Boric For ‘Undermining U.S. Policy By Supporting Cuba’s Murderous Dictatorship’
National

GOP Rep. Gimenez Slams Chilean President Boric For ‘Undermining U.S. Policy By Supporting Cuba’s Murderous Dictatorship’

February 21, 2026
Next Post
Indiana Mother Shoots Convicted Sex Offender She Wallked in on Him Trying to Rape Her 12-Year-Old Daughter

Indiana Mother Shoots Convicted Sex Offender She Wallked in on Him Trying to Rape Her 12-Year-Old Daughter

Singapore Man Arrested for Alleged Involvement in Snatch Theft of Handbag in Toa Payoh

Singapore Man Arrested for Alleged Involvement in Snatch Theft of Handbag in Toa Payoh

AI to send Asia’s data centre spending and power needs up; Morgan Stanley picks the winners

AI to send Asia’s data centre spending and power needs up; Morgan Stanley picks the winners

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

ABOUT US

International Business Weekly is an American entertainment magazine. We cover business News & feature exclusive interviews with many notable figures

Copyright © 2026 - International Business Weekly

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • News
  • Business
  • Culture
  • National
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel

Copyright © 2026 - International Business Weekly