International Business Weekly
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • National
  • Culture
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • National
  • Culture
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
International Business Weekly
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

US lawmakers urge Starbucks CEO to restart union talks

November 10, 2025
in Business
0
US lawmakers urge Starbucks CEO to restart union talks
0
SHARES
3
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


[NEW YORK] Twenty-six US senators and 82 House representatives have written to Starbucks chief executive officer Brian Niccol, urging the company to resume talks with its workers union, the lawmakers said on Monday (Nov 10).

“We have heard of a troubling return to union busting,” states the letter from the group of senators led by Senator Bernie Sanders, which was seen by Reuters.

It said Starbucks must “bargain a fair contract in good faith with these employees”.

House representatives, led by the House Labour Caucus and Representative, penned a similar letter sent on Monday. No Republicans signed either letter.

Sides blame each other

Talks between Starbucks and Starbucks Workers United, which represents roughly 9,500 workers, began in April last year but have since stalled.

Both sides blame the other for ending talks, and say they are ready to return to discussions.

BT in your inbox

Start and end each day with the latest news stories and analyses delivered straight to your inbox.

Starbucks said that the union represents only 4 per cent of its workforce, and that the company already offers “the best job in retail”.

The company offers employees who work at least 20 hours a week benefits, including healthcare, parental leave, and tuition for online classes at Arizona State University.

Starbucks Workers United has filed more than 100 charges against the company since December for alleged unfair labour practices, such as retaliation against unionising baristas, according to the letters.

SEE ALSO

Starbucks this week agreed to sell the controlling stake in its China arm to Boyu at a US$4 billion enterprise value in a bid to improve the coffee chain’s flagging business in the country.
Starbucks has lowered prices for non-coffee products in China, and has been trying to offer more customisation and local flavours.

The letters also said that Starbucks “has the money to reach a fair agreement”, noting that in 2024, Starbucks spent several billion dollars on dividends and stock buybacks.

The company also compensated Niccol US$95 million, which largely covered shares he left at Chipotle.

Starbucks said its stock actions benefitted workers who own shares through a company programme, as well as institutional investors and pension funds.

The union said last week that workers are prepared to strike if a contract is not finalised by Nov 13, the company’s high-sales “Red Cup Day”, and that strikes could hit more than 25 cities initially and escalate if there is no progress.

Niccol has sought to overhaul US store operations in a bid to win back customers. The coffee company suffered six quarters of sales declines before Oct 29, when the company reported 1 per cent global sales growth.

In September, Starbucks shut more than 600 stores, including its flagship unionised outlet in Seattle, and trimmed its corporate workforce as part of the turnaround efforts. REUTERS



Source link

Tags: CEOLawmakersRestartStarbucksTalksUnionurge
Brand Post

Brand Post

I am an editor for IBW, focusing on business and entrepreneurship. I love uncovering emerging trends and crafting stories that inspire and inform readers about innovative ventures and industry insights.

Related Posts

India vs South Africa Live Streaming: How to Watch the T20 World Cup 2026 Super 8 Match in the US, UK and India
Business

India vs South Africa Live Streaming: How to Watch the T20 World Cup 2026 Super 8 Match in the US, UK and India

February 22, 2026
Capital One Arena Facade Work Begins
Business

Capital One Arena Facade Work Begins

February 22, 2026
DHS to Suspend PreCheck and Global Entry Sunday Amid DHS Shutdowm Over Funding Lapse
Business

DHS to Suspend PreCheck and Global Entry Sunday Amid DHS Shutdowm Over Funding Lapse

February 22, 2026
Next Post
US: Wall Street advances on hopes of government reopening

US: Wall Street advances on hopes of government reopening

Olympics Set to Ban All Transgender Athletes from Competing in All Female Games Events from LA 2028: Report

Olympics Set to Ban All Transgender Athletes from Competing in All Female Games Events from LA 2028: Report

Who Was Anna Kepner? School Student and Aspiring Cheerleader Dies Aboard Carnival Cruise Ship Sailing from Miami to Caribbean as FBI Launches Probe

Who Was Anna Kepner? School Student and Aspiring Cheerleader Dies Aboard Carnival Cruise Ship Sailing from Miami to Caribbean as FBI Launches Probe

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

ABOUT US

International Business Weekly is an American entertainment magazine. We cover business News & feature exclusive interviews with many notable figures

Copyright © 2026 - International Business Weekly

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • News
  • Business
  • Culture
  • National
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel

Copyright © 2026 - International Business Weekly