International Business Weekly
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • National
  • Culture
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • National
  • Culture
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
International Business Weekly
No Result
View All Result
Home National

AI’s Role in Modern Warfare: The Case of Claude in Venezuela

February 16, 2026
in National
0
AI’s Role in Modern Warfare: The Case of Claude in Venezuela
0
SHARES
2
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


Something went wrong after Operation Absolute Resolve. Or rather — something went right, the mission succeeded, and then somebody at Anthropic made a phone call that undid quite a lot of the goodwill.

An executive at the San Francisco company behind Claude contacted Palantir Technologies in the days after the Caracas raid to ask a question that sounds reasonable enough on paper: how had their AI model been used during a classified military operation that ended with people being shot? Palantir is the defence analytics firm through which Claude operates on Pentagon systems. The call, in other words, went to the middleman.

That call may cost Anthropic a $200m defence contract.

Two sources with direct knowledge of the situation told Axios the US military used Claude during the 3 January raid — making it, as far as anyone can confirm, the first time a commercially built AI model has been deployed inside a classified American military operation. The Wall Street Journal broke the story first, citing people familiar with the matter. What Claude actually did during the operation has not been made public; whether it crunched satellite imagery, ran logistics calculations, processed intelligence feeds or did something else entirely is unclear, and the classified nature of the mission means nobody involved has to explain.

Nobody has.

One Phone Call, Then the Knives Came Out

Here is where it gets properly messy. A senior administration official told Axios that the Anthropic executive’s call was ‘raised in such a way to imply that they might disapprove of their software being used, because obviously there was kinetic fire during that raid, people were shot.’

Anthropic flatly denied that version. A spokesperson insisted the company had ‘not discussed the use of Claude for specific operations with the Department of War.’

Nobody budged.

But the damage — or whatever the administration decided to call it, and they’ve been rather careful not to call it anything directly — was done. The Pentagon is now weighing whether to sever the relationship entirely: ‘Any company that would jeopardise the operational success of our warfighters in the field is one we need to reevaluate our partnership with going forward,’ the senior official told Axios.

Whether that official had been waiting weeks for a reason to say something like that is impossible to know from the outside. But the speed of the response suggests the frustration did not start with the phone call. It had been building.

The contract at stake was awarded last summer. Anthropic was the first AI model developer to operate on classified Pentagon systems, and the same official conceded it would be difficult to replace Claude quickly because ‘the other model companies are just behind’ on specialist government work. So the Pentagon is threatening to fire a contractor it cannot easily replace. The maths on that don’t quite add up, but since when has that stopped anyone?

What Anthropic Won’t Give Up

Strip away the Venezuela drama and the fight is about something specific: can a company sell its technology to the US government and still tell them not to use it for certain things? That is not a hypothetical any more.

The Pentagon wants all four major AI labs — Anthropic, OpenAI, Google and Elon Musk’s xAI — to make their models available on classified networks for ‘all lawful purposes,’ without the safety guardrails that apply to civilian users. OpenAI agreed. Google agreed. xAI agreed.

Anthropic did not.

Two red lines remain: no mass surveillance of American citizens, and no fully autonomous weapons systems. The company’s spokesperson told Axios that their negotiations ‘have focused on a specific set of Usage Policy questions — namely, our hard limits around fully autonomous weapons and mass domestic surveillance — none of which relate to current operations.’

A senior administration official described Anthropic as the most ‘ideological’ of the four labs. Coming from a government that had just deployed an AI chatbot during a military raid on a foreign capital, that word lands a bit oddly — though the official who used it probably didn’t see the irony. Mind you, they also conceded in the same breath that Anthropic is the hardest to replace. Draw your own conclusions from that.

The Raid

Before the phone call, before the contract dispute, before any of this became a story about procurement and principles — there was the operation itself.

It began around 2am local time on 3 January 2026. US Delta Force operators, backed by more than 150 aircraft, struck targets across the Venezuelan capital simultaneously. Air defence systems were knocked out within minutes. Electricity across Caracas went dark; US President Donald Trump later suggested the Americans had cut it deliberately, which is the kind of detail that gets dropped into a press conference and never quite confirmed or denied.

Helicopters carrying the apprehension team flew in at roughly 30 metres above the water. They reached Fort Tiuna — Maduro’s military compound on the southern edge of the city — and breached it in what Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth would later call a ‘massive joint military and law enforcement raid.’ The whole thing lasted under half an hour.

Maduro and his wife Cilia Flores were seized. Flown to the USS Iwo Jima. Transferred to New York. Both pleaded not guilty to narcoterrorism and drug trafficking charges at a Manhattan federal court on 5 January. Maduro told the judge he considered himself ‘a prisoner of war’ who had been ‘captured at my home in Caracas.’

Seven US service members were injured. No Americans died.

On the Venezuelan side, the figures depend on who you believe and when they said it. Defence minister Vladimir Padrino López put the death toll at 83 — including 47 Venezuelan troops and 32 Cuban soldiers assigned to Maduro’s personal protection unit. The Washington Post, citing US officials, said approximately 75. Interior minister Diosdado Cabello claimed more than 100, and said some of the dead were so badly damaged that DNA testing was required for identification. The New York Times initially reported 40 on the night of the raid, revised to 80 within 24 hours.

Whichever figure is closest to the truth, this was a lethal night in Caracas. And Claude — the same AI you can use to summarise a PDF or draft a polite email to your landlord — was running somewhere inside it.

What Happens Now

Hegseth laid out the Pentagon’s broader position back in December, when he launched GenAI.mil — a platform designed to put commercial AI on every military desktop in the country. ‘The future of American warfare is here, and it’s spelled AI,’ he said in a video statement on 9 December 2025. Google’s Gemini went live on the platform first. xAI’s Grok followed in January.

Anthropic’s Claude was already running on classified systems before either of those. That head start is now the problem; the company that got there first is the one being told to fall in line or get out. Anthropic CEO Dario Amodei has repeatedly warned about the dangers of autonomous lethal systems, and the company built its reputation on being the safety-conscious lab. But the Pentagon, it turns out, does not want a supplier that phones up after a raid to ask what happened.

Whether Anthropic can hold its two red lines and keep a $200m Pentagon contract is the question the company faces this month. Whether the Pentagon should want an AI partner that doesn’t ask uncomfortable questions after a classified operation — well, that’s a rather different question, and not one anybody in Washington seems especially keen to answer.

Discussions about the contract’s future are ongoing. No decision has been announced.

Originally published on IBTimes UK



Source link

Tags: AI and human rightsAI and PalantirAI controversyAi ethicsAI in combatAI in defenseAI in national securityAI in warfareAI military useAI regulationsAI targeting errorsAIsAnthropic AICaseClaudeclaude aiModernRoleUS military AIVenezuelaVenezuela operationWarfare
Brand Post

Brand Post

I am an editor for IBW, focusing on business and entrepreneurship. I love uncovering emerging trends and crafting stories that inspire and inform readers about innovative ventures and industry insights.

Related Posts

AOC Avoids Saying Whether She’d Support Strikes On Iran’s Nuclear Facilities: ‘So Much We Can Do To Avoid That Scenario’
National

AOC Avoids Saying Whether She’d Support Strikes On Iran’s Nuclear Facilities: ‘So Much We Can Do To Avoid That Scenario’

February 16, 2026
GOP Rep. Gimenez Appears To Warn Mexican President Sheinbaum Over Help To Cuba: ‘Concrete Actions’
National

GOP Rep. Gimenez Appears To Warn Mexican President Sheinbaum Over Help To Cuba: ‘Concrete Actions’

February 16, 2026
Presidents Day 2026: Walmart, Target And Major Retailers Open As Federal Offices And Markets Clos
National

Presidents Day 2026: Walmart, Target And Major Retailers Open As Federal Offices And Markets Clos

February 16, 2026
Next Post
Presidents Day 2026: Walmart, Target And Major Retailers Open As Federal Offices And Markets Clos

Presidents Day 2026: Walmart, Target And Major Retailers Open As Federal Offices And Markets Clos

GOP Rep. Gimenez Appears To Warn Mexican President Sheinbaum Over Help To Cuba: ‘Concrete Actions’

GOP Rep. Gimenez Appears To Warn Mexican President Sheinbaum Over Help To Cuba: 'Concrete Actions'

AOC Avoids Saying Whether She’d Support Strikes On Iran’s Nuclear Facilities: ‘So Much We Can Do To Avoid That Scenario’

AOC Avoids Saying Whether She'd Support Strikes On Iran's Nuclear Facilities: 'So Much We Can Do To Avoid That Scenario'

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

ABOUT US

International Business Weekly is an American entertainment magazine. We cover business News & feature exclusive interviews with many notable figures

Copyright © 2026 - International Business Weekly

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • News
  • Business
  • Culture
  • National
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel

Copyright © 2024 - International Business Weekly

سایت کازینو,سایت کازینو انفجار,سایت انفجار هات بت,سایت حضرات ,بت خانه ,تاینی بت ,سیب بت ,ایس بت بدون فیلتر ,ماه بت ,دانلود اپلیکیشن دنس بت ,بازی انفجار دنس,ازا بت,ازا بت,اپلیکیشن هات بت,اپلیکیشن هات بت,عقاب بت,فیفا نود,شرط بندی سنگ کاغذ قیچی,bet90,bet90,سایت شرط بندی پاسور,بت لند,Bababet,Bababet,گلف بت,گلف بت,پوکر آنلاین,پاسور شرطی,پاسور شرطی,پاسور شرطی,پاسور شرطی,تهران بت,تهران بت,تهران بت,تخته نرد پولی,ناسا بت ,هزار بت,هزار بت,شهر بت,چهار برگ آنلاین,چهار برگ آنلاین,رد بت,رد بت,پنالتی بت,بازی انفجار حضرات,بازی انفجار حضرات,بازی انفجار حضرات,سبد ۷۲۴,بت 303,بت 303,شرط بندی پولی,بتکارت بدون فیلتر,بتکارت بدون فیلتر,بتکارت بدون فیلتر, بت تایم, سایت شرط بندی بدون نیاز به پول, یاس بت, بت خانه, Tatalbet, اپلیکیشن سیب بت, اپلیکیشن سیب بت, بت استار, پابلو بت, پیش بینی فوتبال, بت 45, سایت همسریابی پيوند, بت باز, بری بت, بازی انفجار رایگان, شير بت, رویال بت, بت فلاد, روما بت, پوکر ریور, تاس وگاس, بت ناب, بتکارت, سایت بت برو, سایت حضرات, سیب بت, پارس نود, ایس بت, سایت سیگاری بت, sigaribet, هات بت, سایت هات بت, سایت بت برو, بت برو, ماه بت, اوزابت | ozabet, تاینی بت | tinybet, بری بت | سایت بدون فیلتر بری بت, دنس بت بدون فیلتر, bet120 | سایت بت ۱۲۰, ace90bet | acebet90 | ac90bet, ثبت نام در سایت تک بت, سیب بت 90 بدون فیلتر, یاس بت | آدرس بدون فیلتر یاس بت, بازی انفجار دنس, بت خانه | سایت, بت تایم | bettime90, دانلود اپلیکیشن وان ایکس بت 1xbet بدون فیلتر و آدرس جدید, سایت همسریابی دائم و رایگان برای یافتن بهترین همسر و همدم, دانلود اپلیکیشن هات بت بدون فیلتر برای اندروید و لینک مستقیم, تتل بت - سایت شرط بندی بدون فیلتر, دانلود اپلیکیشن بت فوت - سایت شرط بندی فوت بت بدون فیلتر, سایت بت لند 90 و دانلود اپلیکیشن بت 90, سایت ناسا بت - nasabet, دانلود اپلیکیشن ABT90 - ثبت نام و ورود به سایت بدون فیلتر, https://planer4.com/, http://geduf.com/,, بازی انفجار, http://foreverliving-ar.com/, https://wediscusstech.com/, http://codesterlab.com/, https://www.9ja4u.com/, https://pimpurwhip.com/, http://nubti.com/, http://www.casinoherrald.com/, http://oigor.com/, http://coinjoin.art/, بازی مونتی