International Business Weekly
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • National
  • Culture
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • National
  • Culture
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
International Business Weekly
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

China can still meet US soybean pledge, traders say

December 2, 2025
in Business
0
China can still meet US soybean pledge, traders say
0
SHARES
1
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


[BEIJING] China is expected to step up US soybean purchases to meet a pledge to buy at least 12 million tonnes by the end of the year, according to multiple traders, underscoring a wider market hope that, at least in agriculture, a fragile trade truce can hold.

State-owned importers including Cofco will take more shipments in the coming weeks, said traders from commercial and state buyers, who asked not to be named as they are not authorised to speak with the media. Those volumes will help China fulfil commitments made in late October, they added, though the timing and scale of shipments remain uncertain.

After Chinese leader Xi Jinping met US counterpart Donald Trump in South Korea just over a month ago, Washington said Beijing had promised to book at least 12 million tonnes of soybeans this year. That would be followed by additional purchases of at least 25 million tonnes annually over the next three years, apparently resolving a major point of disagreement. China has not officially confirmed that target, but has moved to reduce tariffs on the crop and lifted import bans on three American exporters.

Unless there are political impediments, “there would be no reason for them not to at least have made that amount of sales. Whether it’s shipped or not, that’s another thing”, said Wayne Gordon of UBS Group’s wealth management arm.

The pledge has boosted optimism among American farmers over trade prospects, according to the latest Ag Economy Barometer out on Tuesday (Dec 2). The survey, the first since the US announced the trade pact, showed farmer sentiment in November hitting its highest reading since June.

US farmers have viewed the China deal as crucial for their livelihoods, as they have faced particular strain after purchases completely stalled earlier this year. Last year, the US made up one-fifth of China’s soybean imports, worth more than US$12 billion.

The problem is that with only weeks left in the year, time is tight. According to Bloomberg calculations based on USDA data, Chinese buyers have booked roughly three million tonnes – still far short of the target. The USDA on Tuesday did not announce any new purchases by China on Tuesday.

One issue is that American soybeans are currently trading at upwards of US$11 a bushel – a price that makes them less attractive than cheaper South American supplies to cost-conscious buyers. On Tuesday, soybean futures were up as much as 0.7 per cent before erasing gains.

To meet the goal, buyers would have to book the remaining volumes over less than a month, and the unpredictable pace has stoked concern that China may be hampered by bureaucratic and logistical hurdles, even if it did want to honour its apparent commitment.

SEE ALSO

“The fact that it doesn’t make commercial sense for buyers to purchase US soybeans will naturally slow down the pace of purchasing,” said Even Pay, director at Beijing-based advisory firm Trivium China, adding that the 12 million-tonne pledge now looked all but out of reach.

“In early November that target was ambitious, requiring buyers to book just over a million tonnes each week for the rest of the year. But that did not eventuate, and hitting the target now would require China to be booking over two million tonnes each week, including the week of Christmas, which seems close to impossible,” she added.

Still, traders said they expected non-commercial buyers to keep taking shipments. Chinese state-owned firms, mainly Cofco, will continue to account for most purchases for this year, with some volumes expected to go into state reserves, said the people. The bookings would likely be placed before the end of this year, in line with the deal, though vessels could be loaded in early 2026, even in the next crop year for US beans, they said.

With those mechanisms, the total could surpass 12 million tonnes, the traders said – even if commercial crushers continue to rely heavily on cheaper Brazil supply.

Cofco did not immediately respond to a Bloomberg request for comment.

China’s soybean buying has been a focal point in its fraught trade relationship with the US. Beijing’s apparent pledge in October came after a months-long pause in purchases, as political tensions escalated and Brazil cemented its position as China’s dominant supplier.

But it is still unclear whether the latest purchases represent a meaningful reset or a short-term political gesture. Broader agricultural trade between the two nations faces headwinds, ranging from changing politics and supply chains to China’s intensifying efforts to diversify its imports. Any shipments and bookings this month would offer relief to American farmers and help stabilise relations between the world’s two largest economies. BLOOMBERG

Decoding Asia newsletter: your guide to navigating Asia in a new global order. Sign up here to get Decoding Asia newsletter. Delivered to your inbox. Free.



Source link

Tags: chinaMeetPledgeSoybeanTraders
Brand Post

Brand Post

I am an editor for IBW, focusing on business and entrepreneurship. I love uncovering emerging trends and crafting stories that inspire and inform readers about innovative ventures and industry insights.

Related Posts

Was Austin Tucker Martin a Democrat? Karoline Leavitt Says Hostility Toward Resulted in Third Assassination Attempt
Business

Was Austin Tucker Martin a Democrat? Karoline Leavitt Says Hostility Toward Resulted in Third Assassination Attempt

February 22, 2026
Austin Tucker Martin: North Carolina Man Shot and Killed After Entering Mar-a-Lago Was Golf Course Artist as Motive Remains Unclear
Business

Austin Tucker Martin: North Carolina Man Shot and Killed After Entering Mar-a-Lago Was Golf Course Artist as Motive Remains Unclear

February 22, 2026
Who Is Austin Tucker Martin? Armed Man Shot and Killed by Secret Service after Entering Mar-a-Lago Was from North Carolina and Was Reported Missing
Business

Who Is Austin Tucker Martin? Armed Man Shot and Killed by Secret Service after Entering Mar-a-Lago Was from North Carolina and Was Reported Missing

February 22, 2026
Next Post
Trump Says There May Be No ‘Income Tax to Pay’ as POTUS Boasts Tariff Numbers

Trump Says There May Be No 'Income Tax to Pay' as POTUS Boasts Tariff Numbers

Trump Admin Threatens to Starve Citizens By Cutting Food Stamp Funding in Democratic States Over Data Dispute

Trump Admin Threatens to Starve Citizens By Cutting Food Stamp Funding in Democratic States Over Data Dispute

‘Trump Accounts’ for Kids Promise ,000 (£760) Gift: How to Claim and Get Qualified

'Trump Accounts' for Kids Promise $1,000 (£760) Gift: How to Claim and Get Qualified

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

ABOUT US

International Business Weekly is an American entertainment magazine. We cover business News & feature exclusive interviews with many notable figures

Copyright © 2026 - International Business Weekly

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • News
  • Business
  • Culture
  • National
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel

Copyright © 2026 - International Business Weekly