International Business Weekly
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • National
  • Culture
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • National
  • Culture
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
International Business Weekly
No Result
View All Result
Home National

Sudan Ceasefire Talks Set To Start Despite Army No-show

August 14, 2024
in National
0
Sudan Ceasefire Talks Set To Start Despite Army No-show
0
SHARES
1
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


US-mediated Sudan ceasefire talks were to kick off in Switzerland on Wednesday, even though the Sudanese government is set to stay away.

Tom Perriello, the US Special Envoy for Sudan convening the discussions, insisted they go ahead regardless, saying the suffering people of Sudan, ravaged by the devastating conflict, cannot wait any longer.

War has raged since April 2023 between the Sudanese army under the country’s de facto ruler Abdel Fattah al-Burhan and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF), led by his former deputy Mohamed Hamdan Daglo.

But while the RSF delegation is in Switzerland for the talks — taking place behind closed doors in an undisclosed location — the Sudanese armed forces (SAF) are yet to accept the invite.

The talks, which could last up to 10 days, are being co-hosted by Saudi Arabia and Switzerland, with the African Union, Egypt, the United Arab Emirates and the United Nations present as observers.

The brutal conflict has triggered one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises.

The fighting has forced one in five people to flee their homes, while tens of thousands have died. More than 25 million across the country — more than half its population — face acute hunger.

“The time for peace is now,” Perriello said Tuesday.

“Thus far, SAF has not agreed to participate. Yet we will proceed with our international and technical partners to explore every option to support the people of Sudan,” he said, urging the government to “seize the opportunity”.

Previous rounds of talks in the Saudi city of Jeddah have come to nothing.

If the SAF chairs remain empty this time, there will be no formal mediation between the warring sides, but other attendees will press on with the talks’ agenda.

Perriello said there was a “deep sense of urgency to make progress this week towards a cessation of hostilities and expanded humanitarian access”, plus ways to uphold agreements.

“The Sudanese people cannot afford for us to wait.”

A member of the RSF delegation confirmed they were in Switzerland ahead of the talks.

“Our delegation has arrived in Geneva to start negotiations; we don’t know anything about the army delegation,” the member told AFP on Tuesday.

The Sudanese government says more discussions are needed before joining ceasefire negotiations.

Sudan’s Media Minister Graham Abdelkader said it was rejecting “any new observers or participants” — notably after Washington “insisted on the participation of the United Arab Emirates as an observer”.

The Sudanese army has repeatedly accused the UAE of backing the RSF.

Alan Boswell, the Horn of Africa project director at the International Crisis Group, said Burhan was facing “serious internal divisions” on whether to attend, with some in his camp in favour of talks and others “fiercely opposed”.

“Restarting the talks at all would be a breakthrough, given that there have not been formal talks since last year,” he told AFP.

“The main difference from previous rounds is that the US is firmly in charge of the agenda and that all three of Saudi Arabia, UAE, and Egypt are all present as well. That puts all the main outside actors with leverage over the warring parties in one room together.”

He said if the government does not attend, Burhan would come under mounting external pressure if he is seen as “the main obstacle to ending the war”.

Sudan is suffering the world’s biggest displacement crisis. More than 10.7 million people are internally displaced within the country, while around 2.3 million more have fled abroad.

“What was once a land of rich culture, history, and hope has become a battlefield of despair, where millions of families are trapped in a living nightmare,” said Mohamed Refaat, the UN migration agency’s Sudan mission chief.

“Without a ceasefire… every day we delay, more lives are lost, more dreams are shattered, and more futures are stolen,” Refaat said, adding: “Enough is enough.”

James Elder, spokesman for the UN children’s agency UNICEF, said he had spoken to a surgeon operating on boys injured Saturday in the fatal shelling of a football field in Khartoum State.

“He said to me: If those people behind this war could just see these injuries, could see these children who have been killed, they would find a way to sit and talk.”

Sudanese civilians, already displaced by conflict, were evacuated to a makeshift campsite following deadly floods in Kassala
AFP
The brutal conflict has triggered one of the world's worst humanitarian crises
The brutal conflict has triggered one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises
AFP
The conflict in Sudan broke out in April 2023
The conflict in Sudan broke out in April 2023
AFP



Source link

Tags: ArmyCeasefireNoShowSetstartSudanTalks
Brand Post

Brand Post

I am an editor for IBW, focusing on business and entrepreneurship. I love uncovering emerging trends and crafting stories that inspire and inform readers about innovative ventures and industry insights.

Related Posts

David Sanges Lusinde: Why the DRC’s 0 Billion Oil Frontier Needs Industry Leadership
National

David Sanges Lusinde: Why the DRC’s $650 Billion Oil Frontier Needs Industry Leadership

February 18, 2026
How ETFs and Institutional Capital Reshaped Crypto Liquidity in 2025
National

How ETFs and Institutional Capital Reshaped Crypto Liquidity in 2025

February 18, 2026
The .8 Trillion Problem AI Can’t Solve: Emotional Intelligence in Leadership
National

The $8.8 Trillion Problem AI Can’t Solve: Emotional Intelligence in Leadership

February 18, 2026
Next Post
New Zealand cuts rates as slumping economy slows inflation

New Zealand cuts rates as slumping economy slows inflation

Asian Markets Extend Gains As US Inflation Data Boost Rate Hopes

Asian Markets Extend Gains As US Inflation Data Boost Rate Hopes

Asia: Markets extend gains as US inflation data boost rate hopes

Asia: Markets extend gains as US inflation data boost rate hopes

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

ABOUT US

International Business Weekly is an American entertainment magazine. We cover business News & feature exclusive interviews with many notable figures

Copyright © 2026 - International Business Weekly

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • News
  • Business
  • Culture
  • National
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel

Copyright © 2024 - International Business Weekly

سایت کازینو,سایت کازینو انفجار,سایت انفجار هات بت,سایت حضرات ,بت خانه ,تاینی بت ,سیب بت ,ایس بت بدون فیلتر ,ماه بت ,دانلود اپلیکیشن دنس بت ,بازی انفجار دنس,ازا بت,ازا بت,اپلیکیشن هات بت,اپلیکیشن هات بت,عقاب بت,فیفا نود,شرط بندی سنگ کاغذ قیچی,bet90,bet90,سایت شرط بندی پاسور,بت لند,Bababet,Bababet,گلف بت,گلف بت,پوکر آنلاین,پاسور شرطی,پاسور شرطی,پاسور شرطی,پاسور شرطی,تهران بت,تهران بت,تهران بت,تخته نرد پولی,ناسا بت ,هزار بت,هزار بت,شهر بت,چهار برگ آنلاین,چهار برگ آنلاین,رد بت,رد بت,پنالتی بت,بازی انفجار حضرات,بازی انفجار حضرات,بازی انفجار حضرات,سبد ۷۲۴,بت 303,بت 303,شرط بندی پولی,بتکارت بدون فیلتر,بتکارت بدون فیلتر,بتکارت بدون فیلتر, بت تایم, سایت شرط بندی بدون نیاز به پول, یاس بت, بت خانه, Tatalbet, اپلیکیشن سیب بت, اپلیکیشن سیب بت, بت استار, پابلو بت, پیش بینی فوتبال, بت 45, سایت همسریابی پيوند, بت باز, بری بت, بازی انفجار رایگان, شير بت, رویال بت, بت فلاد, روما بت, پوکر ریور, تاس وگاس, بت ناب, بتکارت, سایت بت برو, سایت حضرات, سیب بت, پارس نود, ایس بت, سایت سیگاری بت, sigaribet, هات بت, سایت هات بت, سایت بت برو, بت برو, ماه بت, اوزابت | ozabet, تاینی بت | tinybet, بری بت | سایت بدون فیلتر بری بت, دنس بت بدون فیلتر, bet120 | سایت بت ۱۲۰, ace90bet | acebet90 | ac90bet, ثبت نام در سایت تک بت, سیب بت 90 بدون فیلتر, یاس بت | آدرس بدون فیلتر یاس بت, بازی انفجار دنس, بت خانه | سایت, بت تایم | bettime90, دانلود اپلیکیشن وان ایکس بت 1xbet بدون فیلتر و آدرس جدید, سایت همسریابی دائم و رایگان برای یافتن بهترین همسر و همدم, دانلود اپلیکیشن هات بت بدون فیلتر برای اندروید و لینک مستقیم, تتل بت - سایت شرط بندی بدون فیلتر, دانلود اپلیکیشن بت فوت - سایت شرط بندی فوت بت بدون فیلتر, سایت بت لند 90 و دانلود اپلیکیشن بت 90, سایت ناسا بت - nasabet, دانلود اپلیکیشن ABT90 - ثبت نام و ورود به سایت بدون فیلتر, https://planer4.com/, http://geduf.com/,, بازی انفجار, http://foreverliving-ar.com/, https://wediscusstech.com/, http://codesterlab.com/, https://www.9ja4u.com/, https://pimpurwhip.com/, http://nubti.com/, http://www.casinoherrald.com/, http://oigor.com/, http://coinjoin.art/, بازی مونتی