International Business Weekly
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • National
  • Culture
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • National
  • Culture
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
International Business Weekly
No Result
View All Result
Home National

Syria Determined To ‘Prevent Unlawful Revenge’ Says Fact-finding Committee

March 12, 2025
in National
0
Syria Determined To ‘Prevent Unlawful Revenge’ Says Fact-finding Committee
0
SHARES
3
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


A committee formed by Syria’s new authorities to investigate a wave of deadly violence said on Tuesday the country was determined to “prevent unlawful revenge”.

A wave of violence broke out last Thursday, mainly in the Mediterranean heartland of the Alawite minority, the deadliest since longtime strongman Bashar al-Assad was ousted in December.

Security forces and allied groups have killed at least 1,225 civilians since Thursday, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights war monitor.

The UN Human Rights Office said it had documented “summary executions” that appeared “to have been carried out on a sectarian basis”.

“In a number of extremely disturbing instances, entire families — including women, children and individuals hors de combat — were killed, with predominantly Alawite cities and villages targeted in particular,” it said.

At a press conference in Damascus, committee spokesman Yasser al-Farhan said: “The new Syria is determined to enshrine justice and the rule of law, protect the rights and freedoms of its citizens, prevent unlawful revenge and guarantee that there is no impunity.”

Farhan said the committee was working on “gathering and reviewing evidence” related to the wave of violence.

He added the committee would “listen to the eyewitnesses” and establish mechanisms for people to contact the investigators, as well as gather and verify video evidence.

The findings will be submitted to the presidency and the judiciary, Farhan said.

In the coastal town of Jableh, a resident told AFP he had been terrorised by armed groups.

“More than 50 people from among my family and friends have been killed,” he said, speaking anonymously for his safety. “They gathered bodies with bulldozers and buried them in mass graves.”

The Observatory said that thousands of Alawite civilians from Jableh and the surrounding area had fled to Russia’s Hmeimim airbase, since Friday.

The town’s mayor, Amjad Sultan, told AFP he had visited the displaced to tell them that security forces were restoring control and “outside is now safe”.

An AFP photographer saw groups of Alawites fleeing across a river into northern Lebanon.

The presidency announced on Sunday that it was forming a committee to “investigate the violations against civilians and identify those responsible”.

It said it would present its findings within 30 days and that those found responsible would be referred to the courts.

The violence began on Thursday, after the attempted arrest of a wanted suspect, with an attack by Assad loyalists on security forces spiralling into clashes.

The ensuing killings, mainly targeting members of Assad’s Alawite minority, have been described as a massacre by the Observatory, local Christian leaders and US officials.

Farhan said the committee would investigate events that occurred between Thursday and Saturday.

The Britain-based Observatory, however, has reported more killings since, including on Monday.

The authorities have announced the arrest of at least seven individuals since Monday accused of having committed violations against civilians, according to SANA.

“There are a huge number of people who have been suffering in Syria, in the coastal areas, for five days — and this needs to stop,” UN human rights office spokesman Thameen Al-Kheetan told reporters.

“According to many testimonies collected by our office, perpetrators raided houses, asking residents whether they were Alawite or Sunni before proceeding to either kill or spare them accordingly. Some survivors told us that many men were shot dead in front of their families.”

Human Rights Watch called on Syria’s new authorities to ensure accountability for the mass killings.

“Syria’s new leaders promised to break with the horrors of the past, but grave abuses on a staggering scale are being reported against predominantly Alawite Syrians in the coastal region and elsewhere in Syria,” its deputy regional director Adam Coogle said.

“Government action to protect civilians and prosecute perpetrators of indiscriminate shootings, summary executions, and other grave crimes must be swift and unequivocal,” he said.

The latest violence has marked the gravest threat to Syria’s new authorities, calling into question their ability to govern following repeated vows that they would respect the country’s various minorities.

The new authorities announced a surprise deal with the autonomous Kurdish administration in the northeast on Monday to integrate its forces into the state security apparatus — a move analysts say benefits both sides at a critical juncture.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio hailed the deal on Tuesday, saying Washington “welcomes” the agreement to “integrate the northeast into a unified Syria”.

Yasser al-Farhan, said Syria was “determined to enshrine justice and the rule of law”
AFP
The violence is the biggest challenge so far to the authority of Syria's interim government
The violence is the biggest challenge so far to the authority of Syria’s interim government
AFP
Alawites fleeing across a river from Syria into northern Lebanon
Alawites fleeing across a river from Syria into northern Lebanon
AFP



Source link

Tags: CommitteeDeterminedFactfindingPreventRevengeSyriaUnlawful
Brand Post

Brand Post

I am an editor for IBW, focusing on business and entrepreneurship. I love uncovering emerging trends and crafting stories that inspire and inform readers about innovative ventures and industry insights.

Related Posts

What’s Next for Andrew After His Arrest? UK Government Weighs Plans to Strip Him of Succession Rights
National

What’s Next for Andrew After His Arrest? UK Government Weighs Plans to Strip Him of Succession Rights

February 21, 2026
Camila Cabello speaks out on humanitarian crisis in Cuba, urges support for Caritas
National

Camila Cabello speaks out on humanitarian crisis in Cuba, urges support for Caritas

February 21, 2026
GOP Rep. Gimenez Slams Chilean President Boric For ‘Undermining U.S. Policy By Supporting Cuba’s Murderous Dictatorship’
National

GOP Rep. Gimenez Slams Chilean President Boric For ‘Undermining U.S. Policy By Supporting Cuba’s Murderous Dictatorship’

February 21, 2026
Next Post
China leads increased EV purchases as EU tariffs start to hit

China leads increased EV purchases as EU tariffs start to hit

CPF Special, MediSave and Retirement Accounts’ interest rate remains at 4% for Q2 2025

CPF Special, MediSave and Retirement Accounts’ interest rate remains at 4% for Q2 2025

Asia: Most stocks drop as Trump trade policy sows uncertainty

Asia: Most stocks drop as Trump trade policy sows uncertainty

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

ABOUT US

International Business Weekly is an American entertainment magazine. We cover business News & feature exclusive interviews with many notable figures

Copyright © 2026 - International Business Weekly

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • News
  • Business
  • Culture
  • National
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel

Copyright © 2026 - International Business Weekly