International Business Weekly
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • National
  • Culture
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • National
  • Culture
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
International Business Weekly
No Result
View All Result
Home National

U.S. Court Upholds SpaceX Satellite Deployment Plan

August 26, 2022
in National
0
U.S. Court Upholds SpaceX Satellite Deployment Plan
0
SHARES
2
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


An exterior of the SpaceX headquarters in Hawthorne, California May 29, 2014.

A U.S. appeals court on Friday upheld the decision of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to approve a SpaceX plan to deploy some Starlink satellites at a lower Earth orbit than planned as part of its push to offer space-based broadband internet.

Elon Musk’s SpaceX won FCC approval in 2021 to fly 2,824 satellites at a lower orbit to provide high-speed broadband internet services to people who currently lack access. Competitors Viasat Inc and DISH Network Corp challenged the FCC approval.

Viasat said on Friday it believes the “decision is a setback for both space safety and environmental protection.”

The company added if the court had forced the FCC to address “complicated issues surrounding deployment of mega-constellations in (low-earth orbit), we believe harmful impacts that otherwise may persist for decades or even centuries to come could have been avoided.”

In a court filing, Viasat noted the SpaceX deployment plan was massive, noting “by way of comparison, approximately 10,000 satellites, total, have been launched in all of human history.”

The court ruling found “Viasat operates only a single satellite that flies close to SpaceX’s constellation” and added “This theory of injury is much too speculative.”

Dish noted the decision does not alter FCC rules prohibiting SpaceX and other operators from interfering with television service provided by satellite operators. “We will remain vigilant in ensuring that SpaceX operations do not harm our millions of satellite customers,” DISH said.

SpaceX did not immediately comment.

On Thursday, U.S wireless carrier T-Mobile US Inc said it would use SpaceX’s Starlink satellites to provide mobile users with network access in parts of the United States, outlining plans to connect users’ mobile phones directly to satellites in orbit.

The new plans will exist alongside T-mobile’s existing cellular services.

SpaceX has launched nearly 3,000 low-Earth-orbiting Starlink satellites since 2019, handily outpacing rivals OneWeb and Amazon.com Inc’s Project Kuiper.

Last month, the FCC SpaceX’s Starlink applications for $885.5 million in internet service subsidies after tentatively awarding the funds in 2020.

MEET IBT NEWS FROM BELOW CHANNELS

© Copyright Thomson Reuters 2022. All rights reserved.



Source link

Tags: CourtDeploymentPlanSatelliteSpaceXUpholds
Brand Post

Brand Post

I am an editor for IBW, focusing on business and entrepreneurship. I love uncovering emerging trends and crafting stories that inspire and inform readers about innovative ventures and industry insights.

Related Posts

Money Expert Reveals the One Financial Habit That Separates the Lower and Middle Class From the Upper Class
National

Money Expert Reveals the One Financial Habit That Separates the Lower and Middle Class From the Upper Class

February 18, 2026
Democrat Given Access to Unredacted Epstein Files Makes Bombshell Claim About Trump
National

Democrat Given Access to Unredacted Epstein Files Makes Bombshell Claim About Trump

February 18, 2026
Stanton Barrett on Embracing Fear and Positioning It As the Strategic Edge Separating Courage From Recklessness
National

Stanton Barrett on Embracing Fear and Positioning It As the Strategic Edge Separating Courage From Recklessness

February 18, 2026
Next Post
Cuba Asks For US Help To Rebuild Destroyed Fuel Depot

Cuba Asks For US Help To Rebuild Destroyed Fuel Depot

Reactions To U.S. Justice Department Document Justifying Trump Search

Reactions To U.S. Justice Department Document Justifying Trump Search

Nicole Mann Says She Is Proud To Be First Native American Woman In Space

Nicole Mann Says She Is Proud To Be First Native American Woman In Space

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

ABOUT US

International Business Weekly is an American entertainment magazine. We cover business News & feature exclusive interviews with many notable figures

Copyright © 2026 - International Business Weekly

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • News
  • Business
  • Culture
  • National
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel

Copyright © 2026 - International Business Weekly