International Business Weekly
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • National
  • Culture
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • National
  • Culture
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
International Business Weekly
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

US seizes Venezuela-linked, Russian-flagged oil tanker after weeks-long pursuit

January 7, 2026
in Business
0
US seizes Venezuela-linked, Russian-flagged oil tanker after weeks-long pursuit
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


It appears to be the first time in recent memory that the US military seizes a Russian-flagged vessel

[WASHINGTON] The US seized a Russian-flagged oil tanker that was being shadowed by a Russian submarine on Wednesday (Jan 7), after pursuing it for more than two weeks across the Atlantic as part of Washington’s efforts to block Venezuelan oil exports, US officials said.

It appeared to be the first time in recent memory that the US military has seized a Russian-flagged vessel.

The Marinera, originally known as the Bella-1, had previously slipped through a US maritime blockade of sanctioned tankers in the Caribbean and rebuffed US Coast Guard efforts to board it. Wednesday’s seizure effort, in the Atlantic near Iceland, was first reported by Reuters.

In a post on X, the US military’s European Command said the Trump administration had seized the vessel for violating US sanctions.

“The blockade of sanctioned and illicit Venezuelan oil remains in FULL EFFECT – anywhere in the world,” US Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth said in reply to that post.

Two US officials, who were speaking on condition of anonymity, told Reuters that Wednesday’s operation was carried out by the Coast Guard and US military. US special forces initially helped secure the tanker but left the vessel, which was now under Coast Guard control, one of the officials said.

The officials said Russian military vessels were in the general vicinity of the operation, including a Russian submarine. It was unclear how close the vessels were to the operation, but there were no indications of a confrontation between US and Russian military forces.

Russia’s transport ministry said it had lost all contact with the Marinera after US naval forces boarded it. A senior Russian lawmaker from the ruling United Russia party, Andrei Klishas, said the US seizure was an act of outright piracy, the TASS state news agency reported.

Last year, French Navy commandos detained a tanker suspected of operating for Russia’s “shadow fleet” off the coast of western France.

Not clear where vessel will now go

The seizure took place just days after US special forces swooped into Caracas before dawn on Saturday in a deadly raid to seize President Nicolas Maduro and take him to the US. The US military turned him over to federal authorities for prosecution on charges involving alleged drug trafficking.

It was unclear where exactly the ship would now go, but sources said it would likely be entering British territorial waters.

Britain’s Ministry of Defence declined to comment.

The US Coast Guard first attempted to intercept the vessel last month, but it refused to be boarded. Since then, it has registered under a Russian flag and been renamed.

The vessel is the latest tanker targeted by the US Coast Guard since the start of US President Donald Trump’s pressure campaign against Venezuela.

Coast guard seizes a second Venezuela-linked tanker

Separately, the US Coast Guard also intercepted another Venezuela-linked tanker in Latin American waters on Wednesday.

The US military’s Southern Command said the Panama-flagged supertanker M Sophia, which is under sanctions, was intercepted before dawn and described it as a “stateless, sanctioned dark fleet motor tanker.”

“The US Coast Guard is escorting M/T Sophia to the US for final disposition,” Southern Command said in a statement.

The seizure was first reported by Reuters.

It had departed from Venezuelan waters in early January as part of a fleet of ships carrying Venezuelan oil to China in “dark mode” or with its transponder off, according to shipping data and sources.

Trump eyes Venezuelan oil

Top Venezuelan officials have called Maduro’s capture a kidnapping and have accused the US of trying to steal the country’s vast oil reserves, estimated to be the largest in the world.

In turn, Trump and top US officials have accused Venezuela of stealing US oil, in an apparent reference to the country’s nationalization of its energy sector in several waves over the past half-century.

Venezuela has millions of barrels of oil loaded on tankers and in storage tanks that it has been unable to ship due to the effective US blockade on exports imposed since mid-December.

Trump said on Tuesday that Caracas and Washington have reached a deal to export up to US$2 billion worth of Venezuelan crude to the US, an agreement that would divert supplies from China while helping Venezuela avoid deeper oil production cuts.

Such an agreement would be a strong sign that the Venezuelan government is responding to Trump’s demand that authorities there open up to US oil companies or risk more military intervention.

Trump has said he wants interim President Delcy Rodriguez to give the US and private companies “total access” to Venezuela’s oil industry.

Since the US imposed energy sanctions on Venezuela in 2019, traders and refiners buying Venezuelan oil have resorted to a “shadow fleet” of tankers that disguise their location, or to vessels already sanctioned for transporting Iranian or Russian oil.

The shadow fleet is considered exposed to possible punitive measures from the US, shipping analysts have said. REUTERS

Decoding Asia newsletter: your guide to navigating Asia in a new global order. Sign up here to get Decoding Asia newsletter. Delivered to your inbox. Free.



Source link

Tags: OilPursuitRussianflaggedSeizesTankerVenezuelalinkedWeekslong
Brand Post

Brand Post

I am an editor for IBW, focusing on business and entrepreneurship. I love uncovering emerging trends and crafting stories that inspire and inform readers about innovative ventures and industry insights.

Related Posts

How Did Rondale Moore Die? Vikings Receiver Found Dead Aged 25 as Final Social Media Post Sparks Mental Health Issues
Business

How Did Rondale Moore Die? Vikings Receiver Found Dead Aged 25 as Final Social Media Post Sparks Mental Health Issues

February 22, 2026
Trump Ups Ante, Raises Global Tariffs From 10% To 15%; Will It Stand Real Test After 150 Days?
Business

Trump Ups Ante, Raises Global Tariffs From 10% To 15%; Will It Stand Real Test After 150 Days?

February 22, 2026
Rondale Moore Cause of Death Revealed After Vikings Receiver’s Body Was Found in Garage of a Property
Business

Rondale Moore Cause of Death Revealed After Vikings Receiver’s Body Was Found in Garage of a Property

February 22, 2026
Next Post
OnlyFans Star Says She May Run for Congress in California After a ‘Vision’

OnlyFans Star Says She May Run for Congress in California After a 'Vision'

From AI PCs to edge eomputing: What really mattered at CES 2026

From AI PCs to edge eomputing: What really mattered at CES 2026

John Fetterman Criticizes Democrats For Not ‘Acknowledging’ The Capture Of Maduro Is ‘Positive For Venezuela’

John Fetterman Criticizes Democrats For Not 'Acknowledging' The Capture Of Maduro Is 'Positive For Venezuela'

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

ABOUT US

International Business Weekly is an American entertainment magazine. We cover business News & feature exclusive interviews with many notable figures

Copyright © 2026 - International Business Weekly

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • News
  • Business
  • Culture
  • National
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel

Copyright © 2026 - International Business Weekly