International Business Weekly
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • National
  • Culture
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • National
  • Culture
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
International Business Weekly
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

‘Very clever’; ‘lost confidence’: Shareholders react to OCBC’s latest exit offer for Great Eastern

June 9, 2025
in Business
0
‘Very clever’; ‘lost confidence’: Shareholders react to OCBC’s latest exit offer for Great Eastern
0
SHARES
3
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


[SINGAPORE] OCBC on Friday (Jun 6) made a conditional exit offer at S$30.15 per share for the 6.28 per cent stake in Great Eastern it does not own, in a bid to delist the insurer.

The offer, which OCBC said was made “at the request of Great Eastern”, was deemed “fair and reasonable” by the independent financial adviser (IFA) to the deal.

The offer comes months after OCBC first made a privatisation bid for Great Eastern through a voluntary unconditional general offer at S$25.60 per share.

OCBC had earlier said its previous offer, which the IFA deemed “not fair but reasonable”, was final.

Here are some takes from Great Eastern’s shareholders – past and present – on the latest offer:

The latest exit offer is still not good enough, sitting at the lower range of the S$30 to S$36 possibility, but it is at least higher than before, said a current Great Eastern shareholder, who declined to be named.

BT in your inbox

Start and end each day with the latest news stories and analyses delivered straight to your inbox.

He did not accept the first OCBC offer at S$25.60 per share, but plans to accept the latest exit offer.

To this shareholder, the structure of the exit was “very clever”. If shareholders reject the first option, the second will pass and result in shareholders holding a stake in a company that is even more illiquid.

“By designing a mechanism of an unprecedented class of non-voting shares – in order to optically satisfy the free float requirements as the other option to vote for – they ensured that minorities have a Hobson choice,” the shareholder said.

This may set a bad precedent in the market for regulators to accept, as it allows other privatisation deals to force minority shareholders to accept “lousy offers”, he added.

As a result, the shareholder said it was better to “take it and move on” than to risk the second option.

“Clearly, if you are a minority in this company, you know you will be treated badly even if it’s public – so might as well move on,” he said.

Former remisier Ong Chin Woo, who had publicly fought to unlock value for minority shareholders of Great Eastern since March 2024, said these actions “disproportionately disadvantaged” vulnerable minority investors, particularly those unable to hold suspended shares.

Ong has not decided if he would accept the offer as he is awaiting the IFA report.

Meanwhile, shareholders who had already accepted OCBC’s original offer were mixed.

A shareholder, who only wanted to be known as Heng, said she was apathetic, as she felt that the original offer had been fair given market sentiments a year earlier.

It is a norm in the stock market for prices to rise and fall, said Heng, who had been a Great Eastern shareholder for around three to four years.

“We’re talking about a year’s difference. Even if I hung on, I don’t know what price it would have been,” she said.

“To me, my own deal is over. I move on and put my money somewhere else,” she added.

Meanwhile, a shareholder who only wanted to be known as Jessica said she felt very “disappointed” after learning of the new exit offer.

Jessica, who is semi-retired, said she had been a shareholder of Great Eastern for more than a decade, and had rejected several takeover offers in the past.

She accepted OCBC’s first offer “at the very last minute” as she was afraid that she would be stuck with shares in a delisted company.

She was also convinced by OCBC’s repeated emphasis that they would not raise the offer price.

“I gave in at that time, because I trusted that (OCBC was) a big, reputable bank: if it said it would not increase the offer price, I thought they were serious about it,” said Jessica, who is also a shareholder of OCBC.

She questioned why OCBC did not make a fair and reasonable offer in the first place, and how the new offer will be in the interest of the lender’s shareholders.

“You’re penalising small, retail investors like us,” she said. “I feel like I lost confidence in the stock market.”

The fate of Great Eastern likely lies in the hands of a few significant shareholders. The Lee family behind OCBC and the Wong siblings, collectively make up around 3 per cent of the insurer’s holdings – nearly half of the remaining 6.28 per cent that OCBC is looking to acquire.



Source link

Tags: CleverConfidenceEasternexitGreatlatestLostOCBCsOfferReactShareholders
Brand Post

Brand Post

I am an editor for IBW, focusing on business and entrepreneurship. I love uncovering emerging trends and crafting stories that inspire and inform readers about innovative ventures and industry insights.

Related Posts

Who Was Tawnia McGeehan? Utah Mom Shoots and Kills Daughter Before Turning Gun on Self in Las Vegas Hotel After Missing Cheer Competition
Business

Who Was Tawnia McGeehan? Utah Mom Shoots and Kills Daughter Before Turning Gun on Self in Las Vegas Hotel After Missing Cheer Competition

February 16, 2026
Powering the Next Era of Life Insurance transformation: How Neeraj Kaushik’s vision is rewiring a Trillion-Dollar Industry
Business

Powering the Next Era of Life Insurance transformation: How Neeraj Kaushik’s vision is rewiring a Trillion-Dollar Industry

February 16, 2026
Is Tommaso Cioni a Suspect? Sheriff Says He ‘Understands’ Reason for Suspecting Nancy Guthrie’s Son-in-Law but He Has No Evidence Yet
Business

Is Tommaso Cioni a Suspect? Sheriff Says He ‘Understands’ Reason for Suspecting Nancy Guthrie’s Son-in-Law but He Has No Evidence Yet

February 16, 2026
Next Post
China says it may speed up rare earths application approvals from EU

China says it may speed up rare earths application approvals from EU

Japan confirms GDP contraction, backing Bank of Japan’s cautious stance

Japan confirms GDP contraction, backing Bank of Japan’s cautious stance

CapitaLand Investment expands fund with Japan asset acquisition at 30 billion yen

CapitaLand Investment expands fund with Japan asset acquisition at 30 billion yen

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

ABOUT US

International Business Weekly is an American entertainment magazine. We cover business News & feature exclusive interviews with many notable figures

Copyright © 2026 - International Business Weekly

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • News
  • Business
  • Culture
  • National
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel

Copyright © 2024 - International Business Weekly

سایت کازینو,سایت کازینو انفجار,سایت انفجار هات بت,سایت حضرات ,بت خانه ,تاینی بت ,سیب بت ,ایس بت بدون فیلتر ,ماه بت ,دانلود اپلیکیشن دنس بت ,بازی انفجار دنس,ازا بت,ازا بت,اپلیکیشن هات بت,اپلیکیشن هات بت,عقاب بت,فیفا نود,شرط بندی سنگ کاغذ قیچی,bet90,bet90,سایت شرط بندی پاسور,بت لند,Bababet,Bababet,گلف بت,گلف بت,پوکر آنلاین,پاسور شرطی,پاسور شرطی,پاسور شرطی,پاسور شرطی,تهران بت,تهران بت,تهران بت,تخته نرد پولی,ناسا بت ,هزار بت,هزار بت,شهر بت,چهار برگ آنلاین,چهار برگ آنلاین,رد بت,رد بت,پنالتی بت,بازی انفجار حضرات,بازی انفجار حضرات,بازی انفجار حضرات,سبد ۷۲۴,بت 303,بت 303,شرط بندی پولی,بتکارت بدون فیلتر,بتکارت بدون فیلتر,بتکارت بدون فیلتر, بت تایم, سایت شرط بندی بدون نیاز به پول, یاس بت, بت خانه, Tatalbet, اپلیکیشن سیب بت, اپلیکیشن سیب بت, بت استار, پابلو بت, پیش بینی فوتبال, بت 45, سایت همسریابی پيوند, بت باز, بری بت, بازی انفجار رایگان, شير بت, رویال بت, بت فلاد, روما بت, پوکر ریور, تاس وگاس, بت ناب, بتکارت, سایت بت برو, سایت حضرات, سیب بت, پارس نود, ایس بت, سایت سیگاری بت, sigaribet, هات بت, سایت هات بت, سایت بت برو, بت برو, ماه بت, اوزابت | ozabet, تاینی بت | tinybet, بری بت | سایت بدون فیلتر بری بت, دنس بت بدون فیلتر, bet120 | سایت بت ۱۲۰, ace90bet | acebet90 | ac90bet, ثبت نام در سایت تک بت, سیب بت 90 بدون فیلتر, یاس بت | آدرس بدون فیلتر یاس بت, بازی انفجار دنس, بت خانه | سایت, بت تایم | bettime90, دانلود اپلیکیشن وان ایکس بت 1xbet بدون فیلتر و آدرس جدید, سایت همسریابی دائم و رایگان برای یافتن بهترین همسر و همدم, دانلود اپلیکیشن هات بت بدون فیلتر برای اندروید و لینک مستقیم, تتل بت - سایت شرط بندی بدون فیلتر, دانلود اپلیکیشن بت فوت - سایت شرط بندی فوت بت بدون فیلتر, سایت بت لند 90 و دانلود اپلیکیشن بت 90, سایت ناسا بت - nasabet, دانلود اپلیکیشن ABT90 - ثبت نام و ورود به سایت بدون فیلتر, https://planer4.com/, http://geduf.com/,, بازی انفجار, http://foreverliving-ar.com/, https://wediscusstech.com/, http://codesterlab.com/, https://www.9ja4u.com/, https://pimpurwhip.com/, http://nubti.com/, http://www.casinoherrald.com/, http://oigor.com/, http://coinjoin.art/, بازی مونتی