International Business Weekly
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • National
  • Culture
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • National
  • Culture
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
International Business Weekly
No Result
View All Result
Home National

World Press Photo Suspends Credit For ‘Napalm Girl’ Picture

May 16, 2025
in National
0
World Press Photo Suspends Credit For ‘Napalm Girl’ Picture
0
SHARES
3
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


World Press Photo suspended on Friday the credit for who took one of the most iconic pictures in history, the Vietnam War image “Napalm Girl”, after doubts were raised over the photograph’s authorship.

The organisation, which awards one of the world’s most prestigious photojournalism prizes, said it carried out its own investigation into the haunting 1972 photo — which shows a nine-year-old girl fleeing naked from a napalm strike — after the premiere of the film “The Stringer”.

The documentary chronicles an investigation into rumours that the image, which helped change global perceptions of the US war in Vietnam, was taken by a little-known local freelancer, not the Associated Press (AP) staff photographer Nick Ut, who won a Pulitzer Prize for the photo.

World Press Photo, which awarded its own Photo of the Year prize to Ut in 1973 for the black-and-white image — whose official title is “The Terror of War” — said the film had “prompted deep reflection” at the organisation.

After investigating from January to May, it determined that “based on analysis of location, distance, and the camera used on that day”, two other photographers “may have been better positioned to take the photograph than Nick Ut”.

“World Press Photo has suspended the attribution of ‘The Terror of War’ to Nick Ut, from today,” it said in a statement.

The organisation named the two other photographers as Nguyen Thanh Nghe and Huynh Cong Phuc, both present for the infamous scene in the southern village of Trang Bang on June 8, 1972.

In “The Stringer”, which premiered at the Sundance film festival in January, Nguyen told the documentary’s makers he was certain the photo was his.

AP, which said earlier this month it would continue crediting the photo to Ut, said in a statement it stood by that decision.

But it acknowledged its own investigation had raised “real questions that we may never be able to answer” about the picture’s authorship.

“We have found that it is impossible to prove exactly what happened that day on the road or in the bureau over 50 years ago,” it said.

Ut insisted the image was his in a February Facebook post, calling claims to the contrary “a slap in the face”.

The girl in the picture, Kim Phuc, survived her injuries, and is today a Canadian citizen and outspoken advocate for child war victims.

World Press Photo emphasised that the authenticity of the image itself was not in question.

“It is without question that this photograph represents a real moment in history that continues to reverberate in Vietnam, the United States, and globally,” said executive director Joumana El Zein Khoury.

Nick Ut, the AP staff photographer credited with the photo, won multiple prizes for the iconic image
AFP



Source link

Tags: CreditGirlNapalmPhotoPicturePressSuspendsWorld
Brand Post

Brand Post

I am an editor for IBW, focusing on business and entrepreneurship. I love uncovering emerging trends and crafting stories that inspire and inform readers about innovative ventures and industry insights.

Related Posts

Democrats Accuse Billionaire Wexner of Downplaying Epstein Ties During Deposition
National

Democrats Accuse Billionaire Wexner of Downplaying Epstein Ties During Deposition

February 19, 2026
Trump Adviser Calls For Authors of Study That Disproved Trump’s Tariff Claims to Be Punished
National

Trump Adviser Calls For Authors of Study That Disproved Trump’s Tariff Claims to Be Punished

February 19, 2026
Trump Reveals Timeline For Decision on Possible Iran Strike As Tensions Rise
National

Trump Reveals Timeline For Decision on Possible Iran Strike As Tensions Rise

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Combs’s Ex Cassie Returns To Witness Stand

Combs's Ex Cassie Returns To Witness Stand

HSBC revamps financing, advisory to help private credit push

HSBC revamps financing, advisory to help private credit push

Immigrants Could Compete for Citizenship in DHS-Approved Reality Show, Complete With ‘American’ Prizes

Immigrants Could Compete for Citizenship in DHS-Approved Reality Show, Complete With 'American' Prizes

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

ABOUT US

International Business Weekly is an American entertainment magazine. We cover business News & feature exclusive interviews with many notable figures

Copyright © 2026 - International Business Weekly

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • News
  • Business
  • Culture
  • National
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel

Copyright © 2026 - International Business Weekly