International Business Weekly
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • National
  • Culture
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • National
  • Culture
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
International Business Weekly
No Result
View All Result
Home National

Nick Kyrgios Withdraws From Australian Open: ‘I’m Devastated, It’s Brutal’

January 16, 2023
in National
0
Nick Kyrgios Withdraws From Australian Open: ‘I’m Devastated, It’s Brutal’
0
SHARES
1
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


KEY POINTS

  • Nick Kyrgios will undergo surgery on his left knee
  • Kyrgios won the Australian Open in doubles category last year
  • Denis Kudla will replace injured Kyrgios in the 2023 tournament

Nick Kyrgios has withdrawn from the Australian Open a day before he was scheduled to play his opening match.

Kyrgios confirmed Monday that he would not compete in the Australian Open due to a knee injury. The local player announced his decision in a press conference at Melbourne Park after the tournament went underway.

The Australian player, who won the Melbourne Grand Slam in the doubles category last year, revealed he has a parameniscal cyst in his left meniscus and a small tear in his lateral meniscus.

Australian Open later confirmed that American player Denis Kudla, who lost in the qualifiers, will replace Kyrgios in the men’s singles main draw.

This is the first time Kyrgios is missing Australian Open since his debut in 2014. The World No. 21 player will require arthroscopic surgery, according to Aljazeera.

Kyrgios, who is hoping to be back on tour by Indian Wells in March, said it was “just bad timing” and he could probably take inspiration from someone like “Thanasi Kokkinakis who has had a bunch of injuries and has bounced back.” Kyrgios and Kokkinakis won the Australian Open doubles title in the 2022 edition.

“That’s life. Injury is a part of the sport. I’m not doubting I will be back to my full strength and playing the tennis I was playing prior to this event. I’m devastated, obviously. It’s my home tournament. I’ve had some great memories here. Obviously, last year winning the title in doubles and playing the best tennis of my life, probably,” Kyrgios told reporters Monday.

“Then going into this event as one of the favorites, it’s brutal. All I can do now is just look forward, do what I need to do, and come back,” he added.

Kyrgios’ physio, Will Maher, said the Australian player “didn’t pull up great” from an exhibition match with Novak Djokovic on Friday. Maher said the charity event in Adelaide was used as “a gauge” to see if the player could compete at the highest level.

“He still tried to give himself every chance in the following days to have subsequent training. But it was clear with each passing session that he was getting sorer and sorer,” the physio added.

The Australian Open began Monday. Reigning champion Rafael Nadal defeated Great Britain’s Jack Draper 7-5 2-6 6-4 6-1 to progress to the second round.



Source link

Tags: AustralianBrutalDevastatedKyrgiosNickOpenWithdraws
Brand Post

Brand Post

I am an editor for IBW, focusing on business and entrepreneurship. I love uncovering emerging trends and crafting stories that inspire and inform readers about innovative ventures and industry insights.

Related Posts

Money Expert Reveals the One Financial Habit That Separates the Lower and Middle Class From the Upper Class
National

Money Expert Reveals the One Financial Habit That Separates the Lower and Middle Class From the Upper Class

February 18, 2026
Democrat Given Access to Unredacted Epstein Files Makes Bombshell Claim About Trump
National

Democrat Given Access to Unredacted Epstein Files Makes Bombshell Claim About Trump

February 18, 2026
Stanton Barrett on Embracing Fear and Positioning It As the Strategic Edge Separating Courage From Recklessness
National

Stanton Barrett on Embracing Fear and Positioning It As the Strategic Edge Separating Courage From Recklessness

February 18, 2026
Next Post
Best of CES 2023: Another Top Five Products This Year

Best of CES 2023: Another Top Five Products This Year

Is Zelensky a War Criminal? Twitter Trends With #ZelenskyWarCriminal as Ukraine Set to Receive Billions in Additional Aid

Is Zelensky a War Criminal? Twitter Trends With #ZelenskyWarCriminal as Ukraine Set to Receive Billions in Additional Aid

How Much Credit Card Debt Do Americans Owe? Survey Yields Shocking Results

How Much Credit Card Debt Do Americans Owe? Survey Yields Shocking Results

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

ABOUT US

International Business Weekly is an American entertainment magazine. We cover business News & feature exclusive interviews with many notable figures

Copyright © 2026 - International Business Weekly

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • News
  • Business
  • Culture
  • National
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel

Copyright © 2026 - International Business Weekly