- Novak Djokovic was deported from Australia earlier this year
- Djokovic was not allowed to compete in two major events this year
- The Serbian player still remains unvaccinated
Former World No. 1 Novak Djokovic has opened up about his chances of competing in the Australian Open 2023.
Earlier this year, an unvaccinated Djokovic was deported from Australia because of the country’s COVID-related travel rules that required all foreigners to be fully vaccinated. However, the player’s vaccination status remains the same even now.
Djokovic, who also missed the US Open 2022, said he was not sure if he’ll be allowed to play in the Australian Open next year.
“It’s really not in my hands right now. So I’m hoping I will get some positive news,” he told reporters Thursday, Yahoo Sports reported.
The Serbian currently is in London for the Laver Cup, which is going to be legendary Roger Federer’s final ATP event. Federer will team up with his arch-rivals Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray in Team Europe, which also comprises Casper Ruud, Matteo Berrettini and Stefanos Tsitsipas.
Nadal has the most singles Grand Slam trophies among men – 22 titles, which is two more than Federer and one more than Djokovic. Out of his 21 titles, the Serbian player has won a record nine at Melbourne Park.
Despite being not allowed to compete in many ATP tournaments across the globe – including two major competitions – Djokovic has insisted he will not get the coronavirus shots.
He participated in the French Open earlier this year but he ended up losing to eventual champion Nadal in the quarter-finals. He then went on to triumph at Wimbledon, which took his Grand Slam tally to 21.
The Laver Cup, which will begin Friday at London’s O2 Arena, is Djokovic’s first ATP tour appearance since Wimbledon.
“I don’t have any regrets. I mean, I do feel sad that I wasn’t able to play (at the US Open), but that was a decision that I made and I knew what the consequences would be. So I accepted them and that’s it,” Djokovic said.
“I’m not used to making, obviously in the last 15-20 years, longer breaks between the tournaments, but it is what it is,” Djokovic said. “That’s kind of the situation I was in. I’m just excited to be able to play here now – and most of the other indoor (tournaments) for the rest of the season,” the Serbian added.
Djokovic also took to Twitter to express how delighted he was to spend time on the same side of the court with Murray, Nadal and Federer.
“Once in a lifetime experience to be on the same court with these legends and rivals. Thank you, LaverCup for making it possible. Looking forward to a great weekend of tennis and a celebration of @rogerfederer’s career,” tweeted Djokovic.
While Djokovic won’t be in action on the opening day of the Laver Cup, Federer and Nadal are lined up for a doubles match, which would bring curtains down to Federer’s 24-year-old tennis career.